Friday 31 October 2014

So I decided to write a story based on Portal...and a song

    I take a writing class, and every month we have due a writing assignment. I may post some short stories on here, including the one I recently finished, named "Smith Chief versus the Robotrax"; what I want to talk about is the final project. For this project, I take inspiration from the games of Portal, and is (in my opinion) so far looking like a viable story idea if Portal 3 were ever made.    And so I shall post the first excerpt from my story (which is so far the main antagonist speaking to you in the first scene (where you aren't Chell, probably, for reasons I shan't disclose). If you would like to make comments on it, go right ahead, but I'm not expecting anything knowing my page viewcount (88 so far, at time of writing).

    


“Oh! You're awake! Fantastic. I'll admit I was beginning to get bored of counting the ways of your body if you started to rot. My name is C.Y.P.H.E.R., but you can call me Master. Is that not doing it for you? Very well, just give me a nanosecond to think up a good one...ooh, I got one: how about Supreme Overlord? Nonononono, I have the absolute perfect name. I think you're going to like this one: Cake Boss. I just get shivers thinking how brilliant it is- Cake Boss. Really, you must feel so honoured to be in the presence of a master of etymology such as myself.
“You really aren't one for speaking, are you? Here I am, spouting on and on about myself, yet I can't tell if you're moronly mute, or just plainly dumbfounded that I should even grace you with my company. It's like I'm talking to a fleshy, squishy wall. At least hop out of bed, we'vn't all day.
“Ah, that's it! You're learning! You're one step closer to becoming competent. We really should celebrate- oh! I've got the perfect idea. I'll just go bake a cake and place it outside. What type of cake would you like? We've got Black Forest, Black Ocean, Black Mesa...ignore that last one. Any of those strike your fancy? Stand still once for yes, twice for no.
“I'll take whatever that was as a yes. Follow the sound of my voice to this door over here. That's it. Behind this door is a double-layered black forest cake a-la mode, made just for you, just for the occasion of you getting out of bed this artificially rendered morning, and your first sign of any intelligence you hold in that puny brain of yours. Just open the door.
“Disappointed, are we? Obviously not competent enough to realize that not only can AI stuck inside a computer screen not bake a cake, we don't even have cake mix in the building. Don't even get me started on how expensive it is to drive a shipment of cake mix from civilization to here. Money we should be using on science. I must say, I thought we were making so much progress. Until you pulled that complete bonehead move and opened that door. We have a long, metaphorical road ahead of us, so it would be best if you stopped thinking for yourself, and left all the comprehension to me. For now, just follow those pretty green lights down this hall and try not to do anything, stupid.

EDIT: I forgot- I'm also creating a song for the 'end credits', which is really awesome so far (look forward to it!). :)



No comments:

Post a Comment